Wednesday, July 20, 2011

those were the days

what...happened since last friday? not sure...i think it's been a blur.

i arted myself a bit more by visiting the the Whitney (for free, bitches!) to see the Cory Arcangel show (he's speaking to our class on Thursday) and the Kevin Jerome Everson films. both, totally worth it. Arcangel uses pop imagery and contemporary culture (video games, youtube, sitcoms, photoshop) in a way that doesn't make me feel alienated like some video mashups do although it seemed some of his projects could work without ever being executed. just the idea of enlarging the photoshop gradients to museum proportions was enough to make me understand. but, my roommate liked their visual impact so it seems there's something for everyone. my favorite piece used youtube video clips of people playing heavy metal guitar to perform a classical guitar piece.

then, today i went to see The Kitchen's Soho Years exhibit and spent a good hour and a half reading all the posters, press releases and project descriptions and watching tons of video including performances by the Talking Heads, Bill T. Jones, Elizabeth Streb and video pieces by the great Dara Birnbaum and Bill Viola.

also, been reading a ton of Foucault to figure out some thoughts i'm having about power, authority and structure. then, today i picked up Derrida's Archive Fever. not entirely sure i understand what i'm reading but i'm hoping i'll absorb a bit just by being in proximity to the book.

on my walk over to The Kitchen today, i decided i needed to provide some more photos of this fine city while i'm here and carried my camera at my hip, taking shots in the direction of whatever i was looking at. i don't know why, but i'm kind of interested in removing any framing or control over the photos i'm taking lately. and at the end...a photo i took from my bed one night recently when the moon was shining in on me.







No comments: