Tuesday, July 15, 2008

so long gone

It's been several days but i'm realizing that maybe that's because it's been cool, sunny and beautiful since my last post. The day after the last storms, it was incredibly windy and i managed to make some recordings of it. I've just spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to get it to upload, and it won't work. Maybe i'll figure out a way to do it later.

I've been working pretty intensely on the disaster project...mostly filming and drawing. Also been drinking copious amounts of coffee which i think is actually making me more drowsy. Going to go over video footage today but i still have more to do. I'm still not sure about the sound.

A new visiting artist, Tiana Peterson arrived Sunday evening and will be staying here for 2 weeks (maybe longer?). She's doing some interesting things using the commodification of Frank Lloyd Wright as a reflection on American consumerism. I think her lecture will be interesting, at least to see the reactions from people in the audience. Not that everyone here worships FLW, but you never know.

The image below...
is a "portrait" of a knot mass with it's corresponding disaster story. Today i floated a few down the Wisconsin River and will be floating more as i get them in the stream flowing from the Taliesin pond and a creek that runs next to the highway and flows to the river. I have to admit, today when i filmed one of the paper rafts floating away down the river, i sincerely had a sense of relief—as if that story was being released or alleviated. I stood there and stared at the rippling river for a while, where the raft was and had since turned the corner. I couldn't find it with the camera anymore. The ink on the story had blurred and most likely, the knots would sink pretty soon.

1 comment:

girlxty said...

I like the thought of letting the knots go and float away. what a wonderful release that is.

and nobody knows but you.